Kennedy Law Associates
COVID-19 UPDATE: Kennedy Law Associates remains open to serve the legal needs of our clients, and for consultations with potential clients, safely via teleconferences, Skype, or Facetime. Let’s all stay healthy and safe.

Do your kids have parental alienation syndrome?

Divorce is fraught with negative emotions, from depression to resentment. This range of intense feelings is normal for those going through or coming out of a divorce. However, sometimes the anger crosses the line into dangerous hatred that affects the children.

One parent may turn the children against the other parent in an act of revenge, known as parental alienation. Learn to recognize the signs of this happening to your children so you can take action.

What is parental alienation syndrome?

The term came from psychiatrist Richard Gardner to describe children who side with one parent in unwarranted hostility toward the other. The hatred can also be toward extended family members. The responsible party is usually an ex but can also be a relative of the ex-spouse.

Tactics to accomplish this goal involve more severe behaviors than just badmouthing or venting about the other parent. It also includes making false accusations, demonizing the other parent and coercing children to stop being affectionate. The ultimate goal is complete termination of that parent-child relationship. Manipulating children's emotions in this way is a form of abuse.

How to recognize parental alienation

It is natural for your children to experience their own range of negative feelings in response to the breakup of their family. They may even express anger toward you and/or your ex. However, warning signs of parental alienation are

  • Repeating adult criticism
  • Showing severe changes in personality and attachment
  • Being fearful of or avoidant toward you
  • Having delusions of persecution

If you notice any of these signs, you should have a qualified therapist evaluate your children to confirm if parental alienation is taking place.

How to respond

The long-term effects of such abusive treatment are real. Have your children attend counseling to help undo the damage and restore your relationship. Then speak with a family law attorney about modifying your custody or visitation order to ensure your children's safety.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Contact Us

Tell Us Your Story

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

In Your Neighborhood

Are quality legal services available in your Charlotte neighborhood? Yes, our offices are located in Ballantyne, so you do not need to fight traffic driving uptown or deal with the inconvenience of paid parking decks. We are just minutes from the Ballantyne Corporate Park right off of I-485. An initial domestic consultation with Kennedy Law Associates is a positive step toward creating a roadmap to a better future.

14835 Ballantyne Village Way, Suite 225
Charlotte, NC 28277

Phone: 704-512-0619
Phone: 704-369-5600
Get Directions