Helping Clients Navigate A Course To A Better Future

Enforcing a child support order

It can be frustrating to bear parental responsibilities alone while the other parent is unbothered about the child’s needs. However, the law provides that both parents must be involved in discharging their parental duties. If the other parent is playing hardball and is not meeting their child support obligations, you may seek legal recourse through the courts.

How is child support enforced?

The non-custodial parent must obey child support orders issued by the court. A parent who violates such orders may be subject to the following enforcement actions:

  • A wage assignment or an income withholding order may be actioned against their wages where child support deductions will be made.
  • The state can intercept a tax refund due to the owing parent and channel that to paying child support.
  • The owing parent’s professional or driver’s license may be suspended or revoked. Their passport may also be restricted.
  • They may also be held in contempt of court orders which could translate to fines or even jail time.
  • A seizure can be made or a lien placed on their personal property like a car or home.
  • A negative report can be added to their credit record

The court can impose any other measures that the court deems necessary to force a non-paying parent to keep up with their support obligation.

Know your rights and protect them

You do not have to carry the financial burden of raising your children alone. If the other parent is neglecting to pay child support, it is up to you to take action. Your children deserve the financial support of both their parents — even if your co-parent is reluctant to pay.