Helping Clients Navigate A Course To A Better Future

Seeking to Modify Child Custody or Support?

Child custody, visitation and support orders are based on the circumstances of your family at the time of divorce. If those circumstances change, child custody, visitation and support orders can be changed as well.

At Kennedy Law Associates in Charlotte, North Carolina, our lawyers are here to help you modify child custody, visitation and child support orders to reflect your family’s current circumstances.

When Can Child Support Be Changed in North Carolina?

Child support can be recalculated every three years. It can also be recalculated if there is a substantial change in your circumstances. Examples of a change in circumstances include:

  • If either parent loses his or her job
  • If a parent starts working, gets a raise or gets a higher-paying job
  • If a child develops special medical needs
  • If a child turns age 18 or stops attending high school

When Can Child Custody Be Modified?

Child custody can be changed if there has been a substantial change in circumstances since the custody order was entered. A substantial change may include an older child who wishes to spend more time with the noncustodial parent, when the lifestyle of a parent puts a child at risk, child abuse and neglect, and a parent who seeks relocation with the child.

Enforcement of Custody and Support Orders

If a parent does not live up to his or her obligations under a support or custody order, the other parent can file an enforcement action with the court. Our North Carolina family law attorneys can help guide you through this process.

Handling Child Custody and Support Matters in Mecklenburg and Union Counties

When your life changes, it may be necessary to change custody and support orders as well. Contact our Charlotte child support modification lawyers online or call 704-512-0619 to schedule an initial consultation to discuss your situation.